Wednesday, December 23, 2009

One Step Closer

Tonight was one of those rare nights that start out slow, but end up blowing you away. I put off joining civilization for as long as I could: got up at noon, played vids till five, screwed around till quarter to six, and then left to meet my cousin Kevin and his family for dinner in Two Rivers.

My G-Ma joined us, and ended up fighting me for the bill. I won. But before the epic battle, my mom's eldest brother and his wife randomly showed up at the restaurant. For some reason no one invited them to sit with us though.

After dinner we took Gramma home, and proceeded to Kevin's dad's house before hitting the bars in Manitowoc and TR. The first stop was Time Out, a sports bar in Manty. Two Maker's and water's later we decided to head back to T'Rivers and hit a little, seemingly, townie bar to cap the night. I say "seemingly" because when I think of a "townie" bar I don't picture zero black guys and 50% of the songs played on the online-jukebox-thing being Tupac. I was in heaven. Not, I repeat, NOT for the racial diversity, but for the rap on the radio. Ballin'.

Anyway this is where my day gets interesting.

First, I reconnected with a guy that lived down the block from my G-Ma's house. I used to play NES with him when I was in grade school. I hadn't seen him for probably 16 or 17 years. What's the first thing I say to him? "You're Kasey right? I had the biggest crush on your sister when I was younger." I'm so good at first impressions. But would that really be a first impression?

Second, and really, the only reason I'm writing tonight, was my interaction with the bartender. It started with both of us going toe to toe with any rapper who was on the sound system--mainly Tupac, but then at the end of the night Snoop and Digital Underground. After all the selections of his patrons were played, the barkeep made a few picks of his own. I don't remember them all, but the point is he had us listening to everything from Snoop Dogg to Dispatch. A ridiculous combination of artists, and I knew, and could sing to most, if not all, of his choices.

Chad appreciated that I knew the seemingly--there's that word again-- conflicting, and very different genres and felt compelled to hand me an open book. This book, well, the page of the book that I read, hit me like a case of the shits. It was like I was reading my destiny. Which isn't too surprising since the name of the book is "Cards of Destiny." But really, all kidding aside, what I read has, if not changed my life, helped to seriously focus it. It was like the author knew me. Like she looked into my soul and translated what she observed, only to put it into the amazing book that this amazing bartender shared with me only because I could recited lyric for lyric the songs "Lodi Dodi" and "The General". I love this life.

There is so much I don't understand, and never will, but the one thing I can say for certain is without an open mind you will miss out on much. Be open to possibilities, and weird theories. Don't be too sure you know the truth, but absorb as much as you can from different sources... even if you write them off as invalid, or silly at first glance. We don't all garner the same meaning from the same things but if we are not receptive to different ideas we may miss something big. Open your Mind.

Check out this link... http://www.starofthemagi.com/birthday.html ...just find your birthday and click on the card in the corresponding box to read your "Destiny!"

No comments:

Post a Comment